Creative Ideas to Paint Your Ceiling
We spend time, energy, and money painting and decorating the four walls in each of the rooms of our home, but few people consider the 5th wall in each room. Did you know you had a 5th wall? Look up! You may not have thought about your ceiling in that way, but it is “prime” space, and often ignored. Because it is the largest uninterrupted surface in your room, you can transform the look, feel and mood of any room by tapping into the potential of giving a ceiling personality. You can add:
Let Your Ceiling Add to the Room…
- Let it add a splash of color: If you like your walls painted in light neutral colors, your ceiling could act as an accent wall. Choose a color from a rug, throw pillow or wall decor and add it to your ceiling. This is one way to easily freshen up the look of a room and change things up. Don’t be afraid to use a bold color.
- Raise the look of the room: By painting the walls and the ceiling the same color, you will trick the eye by disguising where the wall ends and the ceiling begins, thus making your room look taller.
- Lower the look of the room: Maybe your ceilings are higher than you like, and you’d like to give the room a cozier feeling…bring the color of the ceiling down about 1 foot onto your walls, thus, optically lowering your ceiling.
- Bring the outside in: You can create an open, outdoor feeling in a room, this works really well in a bedroom, by painting the ceiling sky blue and adding a few wispy white clouds.
- Make your room look more spacious: Many people think if they paint their walls with color and their ceiling white it will make a small room look open and spacious. The fact is, by using the same color on both, you will eliminate contrast and add more continuity which will give the room a larger feel.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your ceiling: Add a stripe, a stenciled pattern, a faux finish or even a mural (Michael Angelo did!).
Choosing paint for your ceiling…
The effect you’re trying to create will determine the type of paint you purchase. For a sophisticated look or to add a feeling of light to your room, a glossy paint works well. If your ceiling has flaws you’d like to distract from, use a flat paint. If you’re not sure, talk to a professional who will be able to guide you in the right direction.
If you’re like a lot of people, you’d rather leave the painting and the clean-up to someone else. If so, call Claffey’s. We’ll save you money by doing the job right the first time.
Contact us or give us a call for a free estimate – (425) 888-3634
Claffey’s Painting is a full service painting contractor serving Western Washington, Chelan, Douglas and Kittitas Counties. We have painted over 7000 homes and would enjoy the opportunity to help paint yours. We can guide you through all the decision making processes so you get the right paint for the right job, and the professional job you’re looking for.